Tuesday, August 18, 2009

And the Knit goes on...

A few weeks ago, my dear friend Keri took me out for my birthday. It was wonderful. She picked me up and took me up the coast to a yarn shop and then out to a funky restaurant (with terrific margaritas) for lunch.

Birthday

Keri is an amazing artist and a capable knitter although she doesn't knit a lot. While at the yarn shop we found a fabulous sample of this lace scarf knit with about 600 yds of a fingering weight Araucania mercerized cotton.

"Could I do this?" she asked.

"Of course!" I was quick to reply, "I'd love to do it too." I mean... what could be easier than knitting your first lace with slippery cotton, right? So as a gift, Keri purchased the pattern and yarn for both of us. I chose turquoise (to fill that turquoise bug of mine) and she chose a beautiful lime green. Both perfect for adding a jazzy touch to our wardrobe in our warm weather.

It took me about 5 minutes once I got started to realize what I had gotten her into. I called to apologize, but she was content to try and try again, and is now proceeding beautifully. I have no idea if either one of us will ever finish, but it is a pleasant pattern to work on. And so far, she's still speaking to me.

Aspen Leaf Scarf

Meanwhile, I stumbled upon Frankie, aka the Perfect Fall Cardigan, in Kim Hargreave's "Breeze".

Rowan Frankie

I found the book and yarn on sale in London and with the current exchange rate was able to get a great deal on the supplies with my birthday money. I usually resist miles of stockinette, but this one looked worth it.

Rowan Frankie

Time will tell.

2 comments:

Mrs. Homesteader said...

LOVE the turquoise! Please keep knitting it cuz I want to see it all finished and purty!

Tammy said...

Mmmmmm, I'm lovin' that turquoise, but I think the lime green would be just as amazing! What fun to do a scarf with a friend :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~