Thursday, July 21, 2011

Camping! No, really!

I haven't been camping in years... at least 6.  But in a moment of what I can only describe as profound forgetfulness, I exclaimed to one of my friends (who just got a new tent trailer), "Hey!  Let's take the boys camping next week!"  And within 24 hours she had managed to snag a spot at one of my favorite local beaches.  Favorite, in this case, meaning two things... very local and one of the only places I've ever camped.

So Monday morning we took her 4 boys and my 2 youngest on a grand 14 mile trek to the local beach campground.  It's actually a beautiful site because we camp nestled in the mountains.

 With lots of shade and oodles of kids.


Yet just a skip, hop and troll through this tunnel...


and you're at the beach!


The water was the most amazing blue!





And while some of us (my youngest and I) don't care much for the sand...


This little guy loved it!

It was also educational.  For example, we learned about Stinging Nettle...


which causes a stinging, itching rash upon contact.

I was reminded that cool breezes do not negate the need for sunscreen.

And my creative friend Keri showed me how to start a campfire using some Fire Starters she'd made using dryer lint, melted wax and an egg carton!  You simply stuff dryer lint in an empty egg carton, then cover with melted wax (she may have even used broken up crayons, I can't remember... but just google Egg Carton Fire Starter and you'll be set).  When they are dry, you just light a couple and stick them in the fire pit under the wood.  And voila...

 

you are ready for s'mores.  Which help them forget about the Stinging Nettle.

While the boys splashed and explored, I read Shanghai Girls on my Kindle (excellent read by the way), knit dishcloths and worked on my 2nd Camp Loopy project...


BFF socks from Cookie A's Knit. Sock. Love. for this month's cable theme.

So, overall, I'm glad I forgot that I'm not a camper at heart and enjoyed a couple days at the beach.  Who knows... maybe in about 6 years I'll do it again.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That would be my kind of camping, only, we have no beach camping sites anywhere close! So it will be our local state park for us in Oct. Cause camping there in July would just be torture!

km said...

Ohh. Could you send me an email with the name of the campground? That looks like a place my kids would like. And, if it's only miles from where you live, then it can't be too far from a grocery store. My fear camping somewhere like Yosemite is forgetting something or running out of food.