Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Am Most Decidedly, Most Definitely...

Un-Vogue.

Now this isn't really news. I mean my love of Old Navy has been made well known along with my enthusiasm for their release of new t-shirt colors each season to add to my collection. I am passionate about sweats and Levi's and live in these as much as I can get away with.

To tell you the truth, I have always been clueless about fashion... my awareness of this reality has just varied over time. There were the earliest years (up until about 6th grade) when I was clueless and couldn't have cared less. I mean Levi's are Levi's right? Be they plaid or plain!

Then there were the years of my awakening which began somewhere around Jr. High. They were the years of trying desperately to fit in... and often even thinking I did... but, in fact, I don't think I ever really got around to wearing anything trendy until it was almost out of style. But, as I always say, ignorance is bliss so these years weren't too horrible fashionwise. Except for maybe the period of zippered ankle jeans with chunky Reeboks and big hair. (Unfortunately for me, size 0 jeans with size 7 1/2 Reeboks made me look like I was ready to hit the slopes but, well, I don't really like to think about those days all too much.)

Then, as I sobered up grew wiser, I became painfully aware of the fact that I just didn't get it and would never have that "IT" factor. I couldn't pull together an outfit to save my life and I was always wearing the wrong outfit for the occasion. Now it's true that I might have had a bit of a self-esteem issue, but I'm pretty confident that I'm not far off here.

There were a couple of good years when I was newly married and had my first credit cards and simply bought the outfits on the mannequins in the boutique shops... but then came pregnancy... and the mommy years... and re-entry into previous out-of-it phase.

Enter Old Navy and the acceptance that I really only feel comfortable in jeans and t-shirts (not to mention the confidence that comes from birthing more children than most of your friends) so who gives a hoot. Right?


Interestingly, I find that exposure to the many knitting magazines out there and the trends seen within has made me much more aware and at least one step above clueless when it comes to this stuff. (Not that it's making a huge impact on my wardrobe... I just see it more.)

For example, if the most recent Vogue is any indication, BIG and over-sized is coming back in a BIG way. Now don't get me wrong, I actually like over-sized sweaters and looser fitting clothes (especially since the same birthing of 5 children that has brought me a certain amount of respect has also left it's mark around my waist), but I'm not sure that any of these sweaters are really my style.

Actually, I rarely find anything I understand (let alone really want to knit) in Vogue Knitting. And it was pretty clear from the cover that this probably wasn't the issue for me (although I think I could make that face... the one on the left)...

But since it was new... and contained knitting patterns... and the new Interweave is still a few weeks away... I bought it.

Now, since I've been too lazy too busy to get my camera hooked up to my archaic desktop computer, I'm relying on what I could find at their website to share which is unfortunately a very mild presentation of what you will find within the actual magazine. Think BIGGER, bolder, and "Oh My!"

But of all the pictures, this one trouble me the most...

No, not the sweater. The sweater is really just fine. It's the poor model... and the fact that she has no shoulders.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for your kind commiseration and well wishes for my headache. I finally found this...

It would be the only thing that has ever worked for a sinus headache for me. Ever. I highly recommend it. And "SEVERE" sounds so much better than "Extra Strength" or "New and Improved" don't you think?

15 comments:

Charity said...

You are not alone. I'm most decidedly un-vogue, myself. :0)

Wendy said...

I agree: no shoulders (or hips or forearms).

Next time you have a hankering for OTC meds, call me. You could have done the same thing with a large cup of coffee, which I know you like, a couple tylenol, and a couple benadryl!

Glad you're feeling better!

Good Yarns said...

Next time you need some OTC meds, call me and Wendy together and we'll all go out for some caffeine and chocolate and yarn. You'll feel better, I am sure.

Anonymous said...

Is that really a girl? She looks very ummm...reminiscent of Boy George or something.
I have 2 copies of Vogue Knitting. One is a summer copy I bought 3 years ago. I actually knitted a scarf out of it. The other one is the 25th anniversary edition which has some nice yarn info in it.
Yes that impulse shopping can be dangerous!

km said...

Oh man...I'm not very VOGUE either. I did like some of the patterns in the 25 anniversary issue though. Guess that's just because classic never goes out of style.

marit said...

Well, if that's fashion, I'm really glad I'm not into fashion! Jeans and a sweater- preferably wool,LOL- is my uniform, and has been my whole life... Also, the fact that I'm "only" staying at home with the farm/sheep and kids(only four, but born within 5 years) doesn't make for any fancy dressing up.
Hope your headache has cleared! Take care:-)

Laura said...

Unfortunately, I have a subscription to Vogue. I, too, was dismayed by the recent issue - in fact by the last several issues. The 80's are back - they were ugly back then, and I really don't see any improvement now. Besides - how much yarn do you think you'd have to buy for just ONE of those outfits? It would take a small fortune and maybe 5,000 yards or more of yarn!

The cover models reminded me of the movie Zoolander....

Tammy said...

*****For example, if the most recent Vogue is any indication, BIG and over-sized is coming back in a BIG way.*****

I bet you can hear my :::::SIGH::::: all the way to California. After spending almost all of my married life being pregnant or nursing nine babies and FINALLY losing enough weight to find that I still have a shape underneath all that....well, this new style is goin' put me into depression!!!!!!! Thank goodness I've never been Vogue! LOL!

Glad you found a headache remedy! o/^ :::high fivin' you:::

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Donna Boucher said...

Resist the trend.
It is just a ploy to sell lots of yarn!!!!

Olga said...

I saw that issue last night for the first time and I *almost* bought it till I took some time and paged through it- horrors- so not me either. What in the world are these 'designers' doing taking so many drugs????

Sheila said...

I hope you get feeling better. I don't think I've ever seent the word "severe" on OTC stuff.


I'm going to ditto the "that's a girl" comment. I think she's hoping that the big loud sweater detracts from those very big black eyebrows.

Looks kind of like a knitted Benetton ad, doncha think?

Anonymous said...

I love fashion. I really enjoy looking at Harpers Bazaar and just about any catalog I can get my hands on. I'm not super fashionable because I don't have the money and because I live in So. Calif. where fashion is basically jeans and winter flip-flops or shorts and summer flip-flops. I can say without a doubt that those sweaters in Vogue magazine are at the very least experimental fashion and no one in their right mind should consider wearing any of them. Plan and simple - they are ugly. Word to the wise, skip the 'Big" trend it only ends of making you look sloopy or big.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, please...please. I can't do the 80's again! I just...can't (sob). Please!

Octopus Knits said...

Happy new year!

I agree that there are lots of bizarre things in Vogue Knitting, but somehow I'm entertained by it anyway (and I occasionally find a pattern I really like!). I am totally with you on that photo... it looks like the model's arm is insanely thin... very disturbing.

I'm glad you've found something that helps your headache - headaches are so miserable...

P.S. You could totally make that face : )

amanda said...

Tammy, I totally agree. I've considered canceling my subscription to Vogue because the patterns are just too high fashion for a normal, everyday knitter like me. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!!