Friday, December 07, 2007

It Might've Frozen Over

Not much knitting going on here the last few days. Nope. I've been up to something else. Something that may not be a big deal for many people, but something that I find on par with running a marathon. Something that has shocked those near and dear to me.

I painted my house! Well, I painted the living room and hallways.

I know... like I said, not such a big deal for most. But I'm not most people. I'm a slightly neurotic woman who finds painting utterly overwhelming. A woman who tested a color on the wall above the fireplace 2 years ago, didn't like it, yet didn't know what to do instead so left it until 2 days ago. A woman who has been brought to tears by Home Depot. More than once.

So, when I leapt off the couch Wednesday at 2:00 and returned 1/2 hour later with rollers, drop clothes, and paint informing my 13 yo that we were about to move all the furniture and paint, he looked at me like I was from Mars. After following a series of brisk commands, he found himself with roller in hand priming the ugly fireplace wall while 5 yo and I tried out the Sandcastle Cove I had chosen for the walls. (Yes 5 yo helped... see how tired he is?)



Color looked good so after issuing a few retreating orders, I rushed back to Home Depot for a couple of gallons and more rollers. As the kids returned home, each was handed a brush or roller and a job. The absence of carpet in our hallway, made this the perfect place to put a couple of them to work.


Now my 15 yo has spent the last 15 years of his life waiting to help me paint something. He was overjoyed to be handed a roller and immediately went to work with great enthusiasm. Actually, his energy and enthusiasm were so boundless that next thing I knew he was covering every wall in sight with his overly saturated roller unaware of the splattering paint or the lack of a drop clothe beneath him. I'm not sure where he gets it, but he's never been one for authority or instruction so my words, pleas, and shouts were wasted on him. It was his very first and very last time helping me paint.



We finished while he was at school the next day with his brothers enthusiastically painting over his artwork on the doors. (Guess what number he was in football this year.)

In another quick 15 minute trip to Home Depot with 5 young children in tow (including 2 who weren't my own), I chose a darker shade called Castle Path for the stairway (which for a Swiss Coffee gal like myself was a creative leap beyond measure).

Now clearly I am a woman of limited decorating inclinations so I realize I'm not showing you a grand interior, but I am very proud of my humble efforts. That corner under the stairs has always been dark and full of toy baskets, and the wall above the fireplace, well, it was partially painted poopy brown for way too long. Pictures that have been stored conveniently in the upstairs hall (which is next by the way) are hung and my living room feels homey.




This came in the mail yesterday, but I refused to open it until I was done.

PC070007

It was worth the wait.

Shi Bui Transition Gloves

I wanted to get started upstairs today, but a ghastly amount of laundry and a sick 8 yo have put things on hold. I guess it's back to knitting for now.

BTW - Can anybody tell me why my flickr photos look so out of focus sometimes?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to paint! I do it every 2 years or so. Whenever I can get dh to agree to it. He is certain our house will be smaller due to the paint layers.
I love the color you chose! I am into earth tones right now.
I would never let my kids paint. that is scary!

marit said...

You are a brave, brave woman! FIVE kids helping out??? As I said: brave!
It looks great!

sophanne said...

congratulations! the one time I did it, I felt like I had moved into a new house!

Becca said...

Yay for you!!! It looks wonderful warm and cozy.

I had a small meltdown when I saw the yarn and pattern. Gorgeous!!! Can I come over and just watch you knit that?? Those are going to be amazing mitts.

Laura said...

What an inspiration you are! Oddly enough, I've been toying with the idea of painting our family room. I'm actually the type who loves plain white walls, but for somereason I'm considering a light green or yellow - and I'm not one who loves warm colors.

But your tale has encouraged me to go with these crazy, hare-brained ideas I'm thinking! THANKS!!!

Angelika said...

Wow, talk about energy here. I don't even want to grocery shopping with my two kids and you go to the store with more than twice what I have. Enjoy your well deserved knitting now.

Auntie Pudentaine said...

Ooooo....I love to paint! Home Depot gives me the same warm fuzzies as a yarn shop and I love the smell of home improvement. Bravo Tammy! It looks fantastic. The color is really nice and soothing too.

Anonymous said...

Something about the holidays brings out the decorator in all of us. I've beeen in the process of painting and re-doing my upstairs bathroom. congratulations on a job well done!!

Donna Boucher said...

How wonderful and bright!


You did a great job.
The prep work is what stops me in my tracks.

A nice open room is not a problem.
Clearing everything away from the walls is my idea of H*ll.

I am happy you had a nice reward for your efforts.

Now you can get back to your cozy knitting spot.

Michelle said...

Great job! I'll bet your kids didn't regard it as work at all!

Tammy said...

Oh, painting is a daunting thing to me, too...avoid at all costs :-p~

So, YAY! on the completion of your project! The color is *warm* which makes it looks delightfully cozy :-)

And yay! on your boys helping. My boys helped their older brother do some painting in his place and he stopped them after the first wall...hehe...

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Sarah said...

It looks great!
And I love to check out how people decorate :) You were brave to let the kids help. Not on your life around here!!

Lovely yarn!!