Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't Forget the Knitting!


Today I discovered another one of the many things that public schools have that we can't duplicate at home... bomb threats. Well, I guess we could... but I scoot 5 boys out of the house with a shrill voice on a regular basis. And while it's not always easy, it doesn't even begin to compare to the experience of evacuating 2500 kids from the local high school at 10:00 AM. It is definitely an event that my son and I will both remember.


Actually, I thought the school handled it extremely efficiently. They had moved the students to the football stadium and had a system for releasing them one at a time to an approved emergency contact from their registration card. But these things definitely take time... lots of time... and no amount of efficiency can release a few thousand teens into the community in a speedy manner.


So, in case you are ever faced with such an emergency, here's my advice to you ... you will want to bring both your knitting and your camera. Because not only will you want pictures of this quite overwhelming process, you will want something to keep you busy while you sit on the bleachers for the next hour and a half waiting for your child. Remember... this is an emergency! It is no time to worry about flashing those needles in public!


I also recommend that you keep your cell phone battery charged at all times. You really don't want it dying at a time like this. You will want it to call all of your friends to tell them what you are doing (especially if you've forgotten your knitting)... and you want to be able to talk to your child who is sitting across the field from you... especially if you begin to think for a moment there might really be a bomb. Then you can call him and tell him to run like crazy for the back fence and get the heck out of there! Just saying.


Thankfully it turned out to be a prank... as I think everyone expected all along because while the air was full of frustration and mumblings of inconvenience, there was most notably a complete absence of fear... which, in itself, was a bit unnerving when I thought about it. Was there a time when a bomb threat would have struck fear in the hearts of everyone around?


Anyway, Bailey is on the mend but is being subjected to the funnel to keep from messing with her foot. She doesn't like this at all. And I decided to give Juliet a try with some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed from my stash. I have no idea if this will "work" on me or not... but it seemed like a good day to try something new.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, sounds like it was quite a game! I have to agree with you; the lack of fear is quite strange. I don't think I would be one of those people though. I would need my knitting to distract me from my distress.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh Tammy!
That is just awful.
What a waste of time. Hate that.

And that plan. Sow as molasses and stoopid.

So sorry.

But about Juliet.

I loved it on Wendy.
It will be darling on you.

Make the right size.
Small.

Natalie said...

I love silky wool. I'm sure it will be awesome!

Poor puppy!

Olga said...

Yes, goverment school always makes you feel safe and secure and everything is under control.....:o0
so far nothing of that nature has happen here, but I did see this site where it really riled me up with fear about how the terrorist's will get the public schools and stuff. Not good. Gotta stay away from that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Wow - we've been through a couple of "lockdowns," and they ARE unnerving! I'm glad everything turned out okay!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, man. Like life's not complicated enough.

The last time my (incredibly large and rambunctious) dog needed a cone, the (rather flaky young female) vet told me that if I told her how beautiful she was and how cool her cone was, she would tolerate it a lot better. Um, yeah. You might want to try it with Bailey. Or not.

Octopus Knits said...

Oh, my! I'm glad it was a false alarm.

Tee, hee! Poor Bailey... my cat Bug has had a run in with a cone collar, too. He didn't like it one bit!

Sarah said...

I forgot all about bomb threats! We used to have them all the time back in the day, I can't say I ever once thought they could be real, today I might though.