Monday, October 22, 2007

Poppy is Bad Luck...


and needs to be put to rest for a while. That's the only explanation I can think of for the trail of drama that we've dredged through over the past 6 days. The first drama erupted right as I was getting in the Poppy groove last Wednesday. (It was a horrible scene with some neighborhood dogs that I would prefer to forget.) Poppy went into the basket for several days only to reappear not long before I was attacked by the tree yesterday.

This morning I was engaged by a particularly enthusiastic sheriff who felt it necessary to leave his job directing traffic at a very busy intersection to stop me in the middle of my right hand turn with an adamant lecture on obeying traffic directions... which I assured him I had. Yes I knew that the flat hand held up meant stop... but he had, in fact, rather frantically, waved me through. (I didn't even want to turn but he looked at me when I stopped and waved at me to follow the car turning in front of me.) More lecture, more discussion on eye contact, body angle, and hand signals during which time cars are backing up further and further at the unmanned intersection. Actually, the word discussion implies that two of us are engaged in conversation but this was more one sided. He talked and I occasionally disagreed. I am usually quite willing to fess up to my mistakes or admit if I'm uncertain... especially with a police officer, but I had been watching him so carefully before I turned that I just knew what I saw and felt compelled to remain firm.

Now I am a woman who greatly values wisdom and self-control.... sadly, I'm not naturally possessed with much of either. So, for the sake of my own dignity... and out of respect for the officer (I really don't care for cop bashing, they work too hard for that), I will leave out the next 20 minutes of absurd threats (from him) and stubborn responses (from me) and just end by saying that I drove away without a ticket.

But I may never look at Poppy again.

Well, I took the car to DH's shop to show him the damage to the car that I hadn't noticed until this morning... and weep a bit over my confrontation... and do you know what he said?



"Cheer up!" "Go buy some yarn... that should help."



It's a poorly focused picture of some Aracunia Aysen (70% Merino, 20% Alpaca, 10% Silk). I think I'll give Wendy's Brioche stitch scarf a try.

10 comments:

sophanne said...

what an awesome DH! Hooray for your excellent choices in life.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one with a hubby that nice. When I dented his new car, he told me to "Turn the page". We are so blessed!

~Kristie said...

YEAH for DH!!

Sorry you had the run in with the deputy / officer whatever he was. My husband works with a bunch of guys who don't deserve to wear a uniform because of how they treat people. Did you get his name? My guy seems to know everyone in the sheriff's dept. I'll have my DH go beat him up. ;-)

Wendy said...

That might just be the second skein I just returned. . .

Angelika said...

I hope your poppy streak is over and you can concentrade on knitting once again. I hate it when cops wake up on the wrong side of the bed and think they have to let their bad mood out on us. Grrr. I had that one that stopped me two days in a row trying to tell me I was speeding. No way. But that's for another day.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's just a bummer! Sounds like that cop was a co-hort of the guy who gave me a ticket for reckless driving because I didn't have both hands on the wheel. That's quite an owie on your bumper, glad that your DH is handling it so well. And new yarn is so soothing. What a pretty skein!

5elementknitr said...

Greatest. Husband. Ever!

Yarnhog said...

Well, I think a banged-up bumper is a pretty fair trade off for beautiful yarn. After all, you can't knit a bumper.

Donna Boucher said...

What a perfect thing for him to say.

Sarah said...

Good husband. What a hassle with the cop though. Gorgeous yarn to make up for it!

I've been watching the fires thinking of you.